Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Kirk Update - 2.3.09

Hello, everyone!

It's been some time since my last update. Things have just been really busy and SICK. First my Dad, then me, then Kristina. So it has pretty much kept me from seeing the Lawrences as often as I'd like to. Near Christmas was the worst. Not many fevers (which are the biggest worry for Kirk), but everyone caught the mystery bug that was going around. Put everyone on a couch for about a week. Though during that time I did see Kirk online much more often. It's very difficult to determine when though. But if you're online as much as I am, you might see him pop up on AIM.

Andrew and I stopped by on Christmas Eve to drop off The Dark Knight for Kirk and some stuff for the rest of the family. Tiffany met me at the door and said she was going to leave a key so I could lock up when I left. The rest of the family was already out finishing Christmas shopping and she was leaving to do the same. So they were already planning on leaving Kirk by himself at the house which I thought showed a great deal of confidence.

The three of us sat around watching TV. It was pretty late in the evening so Kirk was a little more tired and less responsive than usual. He's very selective about what he'll respond to. If something's funny he'll respond immediately. If you ask a question he doesn't know the answer to, he doesn't say anything. It's very Jekyll/Hyde because it will go back and forth within seconds.

His concentration is very 1 dimensional. He'll talk to you from across the room, OR fix himself a drink, OR laugh at the TV. But interrupt one of those with conversation and he doesn't catch it. Though communication success is closely tied to the hour. Earlier is better. And even better still if he's not hungry and thinkin about food.

Bryan stayed in town until nearly the third week of January so we got over there for a couple of afternoons. (Kirk's 'morning' routine is getting later in the day. He's up and ready by about 1 now instead of 11 or so.) We watched King of Queens. Say what you want about Paul Blart, Kevin James is funny. Kirk still laughs at all kinds of comedy. Physical comedy, word play, facial expressions...all good. And not just responding to comedy. He'll make his own jokes about what's going on.

For instance, we watched Matthew McConaughey's Reign of Fire. If you haven't had the pleasure, it's about fighting dragons in the near future. It is ridiculous and fantastic. Kirk, Bryan and I made up a game where we pretend McConaughey doesn't know he's in a movie and is just genuinely responding to the threat of dragons. Which explains why they had to cast Christian Bale because such mighty acting chops would be necessary to keep up with McConaughey making stuff up on the fly. ALSO, McConaughey makes random grunting noises in the movie. I have NO idea why. Kirk thinks it would be a good opportunity to drink every time he does. Very funny stuff.

Kirk received a care package from Crystal in Japan. He taught me The Japanese Candy Game. The need for the game comes somewhat from not being able to read the packaging but primarily from the random nature of Japanese candy. Is it gum or a cookie? Is it sweet or sour?...etc. All questions you must ask and answer for yourself with the foreign candy already in your mouth because you'd have no way of knowing by looking at it.

Kirk has sorta leveled off on his "improvements". Previously he seemed better and better every time I saw him. I still suspect this is from coming off of his meds. He has also been seeing a physical therapist a couple times a week. They come over and have him perform exercises (some I couldn't do, like stand on one leg while pushing your other straight leg backwards). The results are sent to Medicare or something? And he sees the therapist as long as Medicare thinks he needs to? I don't know how that works. Or doesn't work as the case likely is with Medicare.

Physically, he's still very strong. I occasionally give him a hand off the couch if I'm standing there (he doesn't really NEED it) and you can feel the strength in his arm. I don't know how it hasn't atrophied. Kirk is also very VERY swollen. Chubbly Bubbly, as I call him. Maybe both can be attributed to steroids? Dunno.

So that's how our boy has been the past couple months. Still truckin. No word from any of his doctors to suggest that anything should change soon. Though I still prepare myself for the worst.

A couple of you have mentioned wanting to come up soon. Things are pretty nuts in Marietta. Kristina and I are moving to a condo in Roswell (15 min east) very soon. There will still be a guest bedroom and plenty of couches over there so that's not a problem. I just wouldn't be able to be a proper host during the move. Which could be as soon as this weekend? I need to schedule movers, etc. But I will keep everyone posted on that. If you want to come up, just let me know when and we'll sort it out.

TTFN, kids.

-John

No comments: