Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kirk - 10.4.08

I should just start putting the time instead of the date on these updates.

WELL, I took food over to the Lawrences. Hung out with Deborah and Tiffany (Kirk's younger sister by two years). Tiffany is 4 months pregnant! So congratulations to her and her bf Roffelle (pronounced like Raphael). Tiff and I did our best to keep her mom together. She's very fragile these days as you might imagine. I pity the first person at the hospice that gets in her way.

Anyway, Kirk and Tim arrived late. 9ish? Kirk walked in relatively unassisted. Everything is in super slow-mo with him now. Recognized Tiffany and I with a very quiet "hey John...hey Tiff". Hugs and bites on the shoulder for both of us. Though this was the end of dialogue from him all night.

We walked him to his parents room where he'll be sleeping (it's on the first floor) and Tim took him to get him changed. Bowel control is right out at this point so it's diapers for Kirk. (I'm sure he'd be so pleased to know the details I'm not keeping from you, heh.) Then he came out and sat at the table. Fed himself mash potatoes and baked beans with a spoon and drank cranberry juice from a straw. SO so so much better than I was expecting.

It was very relieving to see him. Especially to hug him and be in contact with him which is really how you can tell that he's in there inside his massive, swelled-up head. Otherwise he'll look at you, or whoever's talking. But responses are almost strictly non-verbal and extremely subtle. After his bit of dinner it was off to bed and he was out like a light.

His doctors have all called Mrs. Lawrence and essentially expressed their condolences. They know the only thing they can do with Kirk (and not really FOR him) is research on what medicine is failing at this late, fast-deteriorating stage. Since he'll be off the chemo, I'm hoping he'll get a little less slow/tired and might be a little more responsive. Time will tell. He's still definitely on anti-seizure since a seizure at this point could be fatal. As well as anti-inflammatory to try to assist with his brain swelling. But that's about it I think.

After tonight I'm pretty convinced that everyone that can make it up to see him should start making arrangements. Joe and Bradley (and baby Wash) are already here and Liz will arrive tomorrow morning. Steve is considering early next week. And Kevin mentioned possibly coming up through Tallahassee to pick up anyone who can come. Dan will be through town on Sunday morning. I encourage carpooling, but also an attempt at staggering visits maybe. I don't think there will be a TON of hanging out. Maybe if he's up to watching movies soon that might be cool? We'll see. I suspect our visits this weekend may be fairly brief.

Anyway, I'm pleased having seen Kirk and rubbed his little mini-fro (totally has one in the back). I explained to his mother that people coming to visit is partly for Kirk's benefit, but also for your own benefit as well. It's been a lot of bad news recently and I think you guys should really want to get in a good fro rub of your own. She says her doors are always open to us. I told her watch out cause there's dozens of us.

So again, relevant info:

John's Cell: 850-559-8766
John's Address: 3096 Gant Quarters Way, Marietta GA 30068
Tim and Deborah's Address: 1820 Bailey Lane, Lithia Springs GA 30122

Give me a heads up and we'll make visit plans.

-John

No comments: