Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kirk Update - 10.4.08

Hello! And a hearty welcome to the new members of The List. (Look over the addresses and help me find people who aren't on it!)

Today was a very satisfying day. Kirk was loads better than he was last night. I think the drive from Jacksonville sorta zonked him a little. Kristina and I took Joe, Bradley (and baby Wash) and Liz over to the house. Kirk recognized everyone instantly, greeted everyone very softly but not without personality. He stayed seated most of the 2 or so hours we were there (other than to get up to be taken to the bathroom). After greetings and hugs things were mostly quiet from him, but he stayed generally attentive with his eyes when you were speaking. I think this improvement was due to a great deal of sleep he got the night before.
Also, he was playing his game boy most of the time. I was certainly excited to see that his hands, while a little shaky, were able to hold the gameboy and hit buttons. Now, I admit, I was a little skeptical about how well he might have been playing Bionic Commando. I took a moment to watch him play over his shoulder and was more than pleased to see that he was being successful at playing and making coordinated jump/attack combinations. I'm no doctor but...and those of you that know the 8-bit Bionic Commando can agree with me here...that it's a pretty rough game and requires some delicate timing and coordination. So videogames are my best guess as to the current condition of his brain. I should write a paper.

We were there for a good while, but greetings, Liz's cookies and gameboy were pretty much what went down. Other than, of course, Mr. Wash Vinson. Mrs. Lawrence could not put him down. He is 100% freaking awesome and brought nothing but laughter with him to a household that hasn't seen much of it lately. So if any of you visitors can manage to bring a 1 year old with you, I recommend it.

So we talked about Kirk's reduction in medication. Deborah showed me some letters from Kirk's doctors. Most of them just giving a final analysis of Kirk's condition and what they were hoping would happen, best of luck, etc. Essentially why Kirk's not seeing them anymore is because science and medicine have done all they can or know how to do and it's not working. They were hoping they could possibly slow the spread of the disease down long enough for the brain tissue to heal behind it. This just isn't going to happen. The cancer is not slowing and is spreading deeper into his head.

Most interesting, however, is how surprised his doctors are at his capabilities. One is POSITIVE that he shouldn't be able to walk. He points out that the part of the brain responsible for walking is completely severed from the parts of the brain responsible for moving his legs. Other doctors don't know why he's not paralyzed (which may still happen). More doctors still convey similar thoughts about his speech, etc. I have a couple hypotheses. 1. The doctors are the best we've got but not good enough and are just wrong about his brain. or 2. Kirk's brain has circumnavigated its damaged portions and relearned to fire the walking synapses through different channels. Both certainly possible IMO.

Also, I should bring this up. Kirk is a big dude. And carrying him around the house (to the bathroom, to 'change' him, to bed) is physically exhausting his already emotionally exhausted parents. THUS, I've given them my opinion that he should be in some kind of hospice where he can get the 24/7 hands-on attention he needs. I dunno how you all feel about that, but I'd certainly like your input if you've had any experience with something like that.

Okay, so for those of you who might not have it, here's my contact info:
Cell - 850-559-8766
Address - 3096 Gant Quarters Way, Marietta GA 30068

If you're at all curious about "when should I come" I would say that any time you can is a good time. I know (and Kirk knows) that people have other things going on and might not be able to just up and leave for Atlanta. But when you can just hit me up and we'll take care of picking up from the airport, beds (or possibly couches) and timing when to see Kirk between resting.

Peace my bruthas and sistahs,

-John

Oh PS! Pura's cell number?!? I thought I had it but I found out today that the "Pura Cell" in my phone is an 850 number. BOO! Help!

No comments: