Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kirk Update - 10.7.08

Hello everyone! (So many names! Most excellent. As always, everyone please look these names over and see who we're missing. Also my frozenmilk@aol and grimtess@aol addresses seem to be failing. Check on it for me?)

This morning we had Morgan, Emmy and Jerris over. No real changes to report with Kirk's condition. Which, don't get it twisted, is FANTASTIC news. He was as responsive as ever and recognized everyone as instantly as he has all weekend.

As far as being talkative, he was slightly different. Yesterday he was sorta super talkative with the greetings and tapered off toward the end of the day. Today he was less talkative when we arrived, but had more to say more often with little tapering. About the same average though. I just want to be as specific as I can when discussing "what he's like". Since I see him every day I think I can convey trends and larger tendencies. I'll try to anyway.

No gameboy today. Married with Children when we got there. Then Kickboxer. A movie which I forgot was so retarded. I would have said that it was pretty on par with Bloodsport. No sir. We made fun and had a good time with that.

Then hotdog lunch. The kid is still pounding food. I'm starting to wonder if the hunger control part of his brain (hypothalamus?) has suffered damage and he'll just eat until he explodes if we let him.

Then we saw Goonies. I pulled down his Copper Bones replica I got him for his birthday. He tried to put it over his head and hang it around his neck but it couldn't make it over his swelled head. Heartbreaking. BUT, Kirk was there line for line with the movie and singing/tapping feet with the soundtrack and score. Like really on top of everything. Laughing and reminiscing with us. It's one of my all time favorite movies and Kirk's as well. Which reminds me, I think BTTF is on for tomorrow. Especially if Diana comes and Tiffany is off work. But we'll see.

He seems to be in very little pain. Not many nerves in the brain to feel pain. He can get minor headaches and his left foot is tending to swell along with his head. I think the foot swelling can be from being so idle. We'll maybe try to take him for a walk sometime this week. Cause he's definitely walking better and better. And standing up from the couch to go to the bathroom completely unassisted. Which, I forgot, is an improvement over yesterday.

He was in the bathroom for literally an hour. I don't know if he fell asleep in there or what. Or if the lack of both bowel control and some motor function makes it super difficult to go to the bathroom. We sent Tim to check on him multiple times, but everything was fine. Just took forever.

Then we took off and got Emmy and Jerris on the road. A semi-uneventful day, but I'll take it. Handful of laughs with friends over movies. Which is probably exactly how I would have designed these days even if I had a choice.

Joe is working on a new blog/flickr page for Kirk. On the blog you'll be able to catch up on past Daily Updates. I'm going to see if I can get Deborah or Tim to write something to all of you. I can scan some letters from Kirk's doctors for you guys to read. Things like that. As far as the Flickr page, just keep emailing me pictures you have of Kirk. I know I've enjoyed seeing the ones I've received so far. Links to both these pages to come. Likely tomorrow.

If you thought last weekend was a lot of folks, this weekend is gonna be awesome. Starting Thursday and running through Sunday. For those of you coming, let me know when you plan on leaving! I am ABSOLUTELY NOT throwing you out, I'm just curious and trying to build a spreadsheet of who's at the house and when. Also, I'd suggest that anyone driving toss a blanket or two and a pillow in your car before you come. We've got many many here, but the weather is getting cooler and I'd hate to have you guys laying around at night with too few blankets. But come on with it, we're gonna have fun. = )

I think that's it for today. Especially since I can't seem to get these off before 3am. I think the lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me. Not hard days...but medium-hard. And I could probably stand to not let them stack up on me, heh.

Goodnight all, and I can't wait to see all of you when you come.

-John

No comments: